Logging in to COW
The COW is freely available on the internet to anonymous users,
but only students in a COW-registered class can log in
for a session in which their work will be recorded and graded.
You will create your personal COW password and use it to log in,
by entering your last name and password after clicking on the
login button at the bottom of the COW Home Page.
If you are an enrolled student in a class registered with the COW,
you should make up a new password, an easy to remember one, that is strictly for COW use, and install it.
At your opening session, click on the Password button on the Home Page to
create a password; in subsequent sessions, you can use the same button
to change to a new password or to be reminded of your current password.
Remember, you choose your own password:
Once you know your password, to log in for a
recorded session, go to the COW home page and click on the Login
button. Enter your login information and you are ready to
get to work. See the step-by-step instruction below for details.
the only restriction is that you
cannot use your name, or a password that is currently in use.
If you are logged in for a recorded session, a reminder in red will show at
the top left of each screen during the session. Visitors may use the COW
facility but may not have their work recorded and graded.
Logging in for a recorded session, step-by step:
Start your browser and enter the URL: http://www.math.temple.edu/~cow .
- This takes you to the COW home page. Click on the login button.
- The login page has two sections: one for logging in if you
already have established your COW password, and one for creating
or changing your COW password.
- If you already have a password and wish to log in,
enter your last name and your password into the input boxes
at the top of the page, and identify your university or school
from the selection menu. Then click on the login button.
- If you have not yet chosen a password, or
if you have a password but have forgotten it or wish to change it,
click on the Password Exchange.
- The Password Creator will then take over, giving you a
chance to identify yourself as a registered student by entering
your name and student ID and selecting your school. Then click
on the new password button.
- Once you are validated, you will be able to create and install
or change a password, or be reminded of your current one.
- You can then click on the Log in now button to begin your work session.
You will be taken to the home page, logged in and ready for work.
- Click on the appropriate COW book to work on a homework assignment,
do practice exercises or review or just to play around.
- If you click on the homework button, you will be able to see
any assignments your instructor has installed for your class, and
your scores for work already done.
- Also, you can go directly to the last section you were
working on by clicking the return button.
- Once you enter a book, choose a chapter, then a section, and then a specific module to work on. Problems or other activities will now be presented.
To maintain your login, do not hit return on your browser. This may
reinitialize your session, and log you out. Navigate using the
built-in COW buttons.
- When you have completed the assignment you are working on, or are through using COW for the moment, exit the browser to terminate your work session.